[BBLISA] MBR that reboots machine

Dan Ritter dsr-bblisa at randomstring.org
Fri Oct 7 11:59:43 EDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 11:46:39AM -0400, Alex Aminoff wrote:

> On 10/7/2016 11:02 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> >
> > Can you install a tiny boot partition containing etherboot/gpxe
> > (http://etherboot.org/wiki/howtos) which will then try to PXE
> > boot indefinitely? It fits on a floppy or tiny USB, too.
> >
> That would be a backup plan if we can not find something that fits in just
> the MBR. The local HDs already have partitions on them, they could be
> re-partitioned to create space for a small partition as you suggest, but
> that would be a hassle. We have also thought of using a USB stick, but those
> are unreliable and we would have to buy and configure 20-30 USB sticks.

USB sticks that you don't write to are often reliable for years.

$10 apiece, total 30; two hours of your time to configure and
test and reboot and test and reboot and... then you have an
image; presumably no per-stick config, so writing the image to
all of them is going to take about an hour or so more.

If a consultant said "For $300 and three hours of your time, I
can solve your problem" would you pay that?

-dsr-