[BBLISA] MBR that reboots machine

Alex Aminoff alex at basespace.net
Fri Oct 7 11:46:39 EDT 2016

On 10/7/2016 11:02 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:

> Can you install a tiny boot partition containing etherboot/gpxe
> (http://etherboot.org/wiki/howtos) which will then try to PXE
> boot indefinitely? It fits on a floppy or tiny USB, too.

That would be a backup plan if we can not find something that fits in
just the MBR. The local HDs already have partitions on them, they could
be re-partitioned to create space for a small partition as you suggest,
but that would be a hassle. We have also thought of using a USB stick,
but those are unreliable and we would have to buy and configure 20-30
USB sticks.

> Can you alter the BIOS config to not boot off local disk?

Unfortunately the BIOS does not re-try booting from the beginning after
trying all the options in the boot order. It gives you a screen that
says something like "no OS found, press any key to reboot".