[BBLISA] Notes on RAID recovery Re: Whatever happened to Seagate?

Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4) bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Fri May 8 07:33:34 EDT 2015

FWIW, I've had extremely *good* luck with Seagate. I know that particular model of 3TB drive is a bad one, according to the chart you posted, and your anecdotes of drives dying in only a year... So far I've never gone beyond the 2TB drives... But I have about a couple dozen of the 2TB drives in production, for I suppose about 2 years, and none of them have ever failed.

Whenever I buy drives, they're always seagate barracuda, "regular" drives - not NAS, not Archive, not Enterprise, or Hybrid, or Surveillance, or any of the other variants. I've always gotten them with 3 yr warranties on them. Their warranty service is excellent.

I'm not sure how you found 1 yr warranties - Like I said, I always got 3 yr, but when I shop right now out of curiosity, I'm seeing 2 yr.

I learned the hard way: Always buy the retail package. Don't buy a newegg "bare drive." Newegg's packaging is usually ok-ish, but occasionally *terrible* and their support should be illegal - I once had 2 drives damaged upon arrival, and newegg at first refused to do any exchange/refund, but after I yelled and screamed, they finally agreed to do a replacement - And then when they received the DMA'd drives, they REJECTED it because "These are damaged on arrival." I shit you not. They said because of damage, they wouldn't accept the drives that I was trying to return because of damage. In the end, I contacted Seagate directly, and with zero hassle, they replaced the drives for me.