[BBLISA] Whatever happened to Seagate?

Nahum Shalman nahamu+bblisa at gmail.com
Thu May 7 17:13:36 EDT 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 7:19 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4) <
bblisa4 at nedharvey.com> wrote:

> As far as I'm concerned, HDD's are now dead for all purposes moving
> forward.

Just make sure you regularly apply power... Apparently SSDs can start
losing data in as little as three months without power:
https://twitter.com/bsdphk/status/596302795613011969  ->
https://blog.korelogic.com/blog/2015/03/24#ssds-evidence-storage-issues

Personally that just pushes me further in favor of using ZFS and using HDDs
for the storage drives and using SSDs to accelerate performance. At least
for data I care about.
For a laptop that's regularly backed up, sure, throw in an SSD so that it's
nice and snappy.

-Nahum