[BBLISA] Experience with docker?

Mark Lamourine markllama at gmail.com
Wed May 6 08:09:14 EDT 2015

I've been working with Docker and with the Red Hat docker team for over a
year.  Mostly I'm doing a kind of research, trying out how to get things to
work end-to-end, finding the warts and all.

I'm wondering where your interest comes from.  If it's just "Docker,
shiny!" (which is perfectly valid, I do that all the time) then I'd say
spend some time, play with it and see where it might fit into  your work.

If you have specific uses in mind, then more specific questions might lead
to some answers or at least suggestions.

If you're starting from scratch, I'd also strongly recommend looking at
CoreOS Rocket.  It doesn't have some of the nice plastic dashboard features
but it's much simpler in operation.  Docker works hard to hide the workings
behind a veneer, which is great for getting started without being confused
by minutia.  It quickly becomes bubblewrap.  Rocket leaves most of the
sharp edges exposed, but still gives you a way to create and run containers
which allows you to get in and see what's happening more easily.  It also
promotes lean images.  Docker == bloat.

See Alva's comments on getting the container images right.  Docker isn't
going to make your life easier right out of the gate but it brings some
things in reach which aren't without it.

- Mark

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 3:29 PM, <couch at cs.tufts.edu> wrote:

>  We are heavily using Docker as a development platform for an extremely
> complex project (180,000 lines of python, 10 developers, complex system
> requirements). For that, it is ideal,
> but
> a) avoid boot2docker for Windows…. just run it in Linux… we learned to do
> that eventually.
> b) it takes significant time to make a container work perfectly… and it’s
> worth it.
> We are not using Docker in production; we use it to make exact clones of
> development
> environments. This is not a trivial task; we have one person who spends a
> considerable amount of time rolling out changes and keeping the development
> containers running.
>
> Alva L. Couch
> Assoc. Prof. of Computer Science
> Tufts University
> Medford, MA 02155

----
Mark Lamourine <markllama at gmail.com>
Dad, Hubbie, Software Developer, System Administrator, Road Cyclist