[BBLISA] Whatever happened to Seagate?

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Tue May 5 13:39:15 EDT 2015

On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 01:31:40PM -0400, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

> We have a lot of Seagate, and haven't noticed problems nearly as severe as
> that, or as Backblaze saw.

In my personal experience, Seagates have failed for me more than anything
else. Western Digital had a bad period when they were making 80g drives, but
they've been reliable since, at least for me.

> One thing I would mention is that the resilvering process in Linux is very
> restrictive.

Mm, and there's the notion that drives of sufficient size will start failing
before an entire resilvering can complete, putting data at risk.

ZFS is the answer.

--
Mason Loring Bliss          mason at blisses.org          Ewige Blumenkraft!
awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep; -- Hamlet, Act III, Scene I