[BBLISA] Whatever happened to Seagate?

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:31:40 EDT 2015

We have a lot of Seagate, and haven't noticed problems nearly as
severe as that, or as Backblaze saw. But none of this is very
conclusive.  One thing I would mention is that the resilvering process
in Linux is very restrictive. It gives up after a single unreadable
sector on the drives it needs to read - even if that sector isn't in
use. I'd prefer it to reconstruct as much as it can, but I suppose it
would be complicated to report which files were incomplete.

daniel feenberg
NBER