[BBLISA] Rent/Borrow Fluke or similar for Cat6 horizontal testing

Bob Webber webber at panix.com
Fri May 31 13:42:29 EDT 2013

On May 31, 2013, at 8:17 AM, "Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4)" <bblisa4 at nedharvey.com> wrote:

>> From: Jon Young [mailto:jon at network-plumbers.com]
>> This is a case where I really do need to do some physical layer testing with
>> proper test gear.  Some day, if we're talking at a bar, I'll give you the scoop on
>> this but I can't give more details on a public mailing list on the convoluted
>> process I must work within.
>
> Well, I'm going to beat the dead horse one more time:  Even when standard test gear gives a green light, many times I've seen, either autonegotiation results in a slow speed, or in practical use, error packet counters grow, because of wiring fault.  So the best test gear you can find are normal ethernet cards and normal ethernet cables.
>
> But if you want to use some standard test gear, and don't want to pay thousands of dollars (because it's not your livelihood, just a one-off) you can actually buy cheap test gear, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZZ0NK1169

If that's your idea of reasonable test gear, it's not surprising that you think that you need access to both ends of the cable and that using two laptops is better than using proper test equipment.

Jon Young clearly has heard of something you haven't, and I suspect that it's called "TDR": <http://bit.ly/143oSct>.

Will you please do everybody a favour, and particularly do your own reputation a favour, and stop posting about network subjects on this list? It's increasingly clear th at you don't know much about the subject. Putting your opinion forward as better than the opinions of actual recognized experts on networking matters is terrible for your reputation as an advisor on any subject, even those where you might have at least a scrap of correct and useful information.