[BBLISA] Rent/Borrow Fluke or similar for Cat6 horizontal testing

Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4) bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Fri May 31 08:17:01 EDT 2013

> From: Jon Young [mailto:jon at network-plumbers.com]
>
> Thanks for the advice but it won't help in this case because in this particularly
> enormous and complex client, we only have access to portions of the
> data.  For example, I won't have access to the switch error log nor will I be
> able to trust it if I'm given that info.  On this particular segment, we have
> about 3000 drops for this project (many more in the building coming online)
> and we have 100 or so that appear to be autonegotiating improperly and
> some of those are acting funky.  We're trying to rule out (or in) the physical
> layer on a sample of these before we check on other things.  For some of this
> highly specialized equipment, we've had autonegotation issues that are not
> physical layer and have resolved those by forcing both ends to the correct
> speed.  We've also had a large number of physical layer issues but, working
> with the union contractors to check each of the portions of each
> segment independently will take weeks if not longer and I just can't wait.
>
> This is a case where I really do need to do some physical layer testing with
> proper test gear.  Some day, if we're talking at a bar, I'll give you the scoop on
> this but I can't give more details on a public mailing list on the convoluted
> process I must work within.

Well, I'm going to beat the dead horse one more time:  Even when standard test gear gives a green light, many times I've seen, either autonegotiation results in a slow speed, or in practical use, error packet counters grow, because of wiring fault.  So the best test gear you can find are normal ethernet cards and normal ethernet cables.

But if you want to use some standard test gear, and don't want to pay thousands of dollars (because it's not your livelihood, just a one-off) you can actually buy cheap test gear, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZZ0NK1169

No matter what, you will need access to both ends of the cable, or else you can't test it.  And since you're going to need access to both ends, I say test with 2 laptops.   ;-)   (Ok, last time.)

And if you go to the local vendor (microcenter) you can ask them what their return policy is, and you might consider buying the $500 model, later to be returned for $50 restocking.  Or whatever.