[BBLISA] sender-specific addresses

Tom Metro tmetro+bblisa at gmail.com
Thu May 23 18:37:22 EDT 2013

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> I use office365.  The standard user would just login to the admin
> interface, and add a new alias to their account.  I scripted mine to
> run through powershell instead.  So it's both very user friendly, and
> very automatable for geeks who care.  I could be mistaken, but I
> think the same thing is possible on google apps; albeit, differently
> implemented.

Are you "screen scraping"?

There is no API, that I'm aware of, for creating an alias in Google
Apps, unless it is something that's part of their account migration
functionality. (Tools and techniques for migrating from other platforms
to Google Apps. I've never had occasion to look into them.)

Creating an alias in Google Apps is enough of a pain - particularly if
you have 2-factor authentication enabled on your admin account - as to
discourage the use of aliases as a primary means of creating
sender-specific addresses.

Yet I don't need to create sender-specific addresses for myself often
enough to warrant the effort to automate. (At least not if a bit more
than 50% of sites will accept the "+" format, diminishing the need for
aliases.)

Considering Google Apps' limitation of 30 aliases per user, it seems
even less worthwhile to automate.

Better to build something around a more flexible platform.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA