[BBLISA] Applying for health insurance

Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4) bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Fri Dec 27 12:33:50 EST 2013

> From: bblisa [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On Behalf Of Alex Aminoff
>
> Someday, I would like to hear a postmortem on the MA and/or federal web
> site problems from an IT perspective. It may be difficult to do that
> without turning into political flamage, but I am genuinely interested in
> what happened and why.

Well, mahealthconnector.org has been around for several years, and there wasn't any sudden huge surge of people hitting it all at once, and so forth.  So problem incidences such as yours, as far as I have heard, are unusual and isolated, and transient.

The federal site is a different story.  It was new, and suddenly hammered by millions of people simultaneously.  I saw a Daily Show clip comparing its failure to perform, labeled a disaster, compared with Wal Mart's website, also getting overloaded and failing to perform on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and it was labeled an overwhelming success.  I don't know if we'll ever hear any technical details of the federal site's failure to perform...  But I think it's safe to say that even a well established site can get overwhelmed under heavy traffic, and that problem is even further emphasized when the site itself is brand new.