[BBLISA] Dual access to files by webserver and user.

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Tue Nov 15 11:58:31 EST 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Ian Levesque <ian at crystal.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hi Bill -

>>> I'm confused: +t adds the sticky bit, which means users in a shared directory can only delete their own files/dirs. There's no user/group context to the sticky bit.
>>>
>>> If you mean u+s,g+s (SUID, SGID), I'm not sure that SUID on directories does what you think it does. I'm pretty sure on Linux it's ignored. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>> It works for me the last time I checked
>
> What is the expected result of doing a `chmod u+s /path/to/dir`? I assume that, as the SGID bit ensures the group ownership is inherited, you'd expect files created in a SUID to inherit the user ownership of the directory?

I wouldn't expect it to do anything.   I can't find the POSIX
documentation on this right now, but wikipedia says that the SUID bit
is ignored on directories for UNIX/Linux.  Perhaps we misunderstood
each other.  I only meant that SGID would force the group ownership of
a new file to be the same as the parent directory.  Looking back at my
previous email, I can see that I wasn't clear enough.

Bill Bogstad