[BBLISA] Dual access to files by webserver and user.

Ian Stokes-Rees ijstokes at crystal.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 15 12:22:23 EST 2011

On 11/15/11 11:58 AM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
>> What is the expected result of doing a `chmod u+s /path/to/dir`? I assume that, as the SGID bit ensures the group ownership is inherited, you'd expect files created in a SUID to inherit the user ownership of the directory?
> I wouldn't expect it to do anything.   I can't find the POSIX
> documentation on this right now, but wikipedia says that the SUID bit
> is ignored on directories for UNIX/Linux.  Perhaps we misunderstood
> each other.  I only meant that SGID would force the group ownership of
> a new file to be the same as the parent directory.  Looking back at my
> previous email, I can see that I wasn't clear enough.

OK, if u+s doesn't do anything I can probably live with that.  I'd have
to think about it -- I am more in the "power user" rather than "sys
admin" category, so +s and +t are not things I use much at all.  Sticky
group ownership is good, though.

Anyway, thanks for these ideas!  I'm off to play with them now.

Ian