[BBLISA] Dual access to files by webserver and user.

Ian Levesque ian at crystal.harvard.edu
Sun Nov 13 10:00:49 EST 2011

Hi Bill -

On Nov 12, 2011, at 10:28 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:

>>>  the chmod u+t,g+t approach is currently the most promising,
>>
>> I'm confused: +t adds the sticky bit, which means users in a shared directory can only delete their own files/dirs. There's no user/group context to the sticky bit.
>>
>> If you mean u+s,g+s (SUID, SGID), I'm not sure that SUID on directories does what you think it does. I'm pretty sure on Linux it's ignored. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> It works for me the last time I checked

What is the expected result of doing a `chmod u+s /path/to/dir`? I assume that, as the SGID bit ensures the group ownership is inherited, you'd expect files created in a SUID to inherit the user ownership of the directory?

$ mkdir /tmp/foo
$ sudo chown ijstokes /tmp/foo
$ sudo chmod u+s,g+w foo
$ touch /tmp/foo/bar
$ ls -l !$
-rw-r--r-- 1 levesque ps 0 Nov 13 00:27 /tmp/foo/bar

~irl