[BBLISA] comcast ... again

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Wed Oct 20 12:22:27 EDT 2010

>>>>> "Brian" == Brian O'Neill <oneill at oinc.net> writes:

Brian> On 10/20/2010 7:26 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>>> From: Carl Alexander [mailto:xela at MIT.EDU]
>>>
>>> Um.  I can only assume from this that your friend is renting his
>>> router from Comcast, rather than using one of his own?  Because
>>> the normal thing for computer-proficient people to do is to
>>> buy a WRT54GL and run their NAT off that.  Which will happily
>>
>> So, you buy your own cable modem?  Last I checked, you couldn't connect a
>> Coax to a WRT54G.  Other than that ... The coax comes into the house,
>> connects to this comcast supplied router, which has a wifi antenna and some
>> wired data ports...  Serves up 5 IP addresses.  It's got a public IP on the
>> coax side, and that's it.
>>
>> Maybe you have to specify, "I want a dumb cable modem so I can run my own
>> router" so they don't give you a crippled router cable modem?

Brian> I believe you ARE permitted to provide your own DOCSIS modem,
Brian> and there are several off-the-shelf models that combine the
Brian> router and modem that can do more than the Comcast-provided one
Brian> does.

I'm on Charter, but I bought my own Cablemodem.  Just do the math on
the rental cost vs. time and you'll see how quickly it pays off.

Brian> What are the TOS for the residential service? Do they only
Brian> support a max of 5 devices? That might be why they've
Brian> lobotomized their modem/gateway units.

To paraphrase a famous guy:  "No-one will ever need more than 5 IP
addresses in their house!".

John