[BBLISA] comcast ... again

Brian O'Neill oneill at oinc.net
Wed Oct 20 08:01:50 EDT 2010

On 10/20/2010 7:26 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> From: Carl Alexander [mailto:xela at MIT.EDU]
>>
>> Um.  I can only assume from this that your friend is renting his
>> router from Comcast, rather than using one of his own?  Because
>> the normal thing for computer-proficient people to do is to
>> buy a WRT54GL and run their NAT off that.  Which will happily
>
> So, you buy your own cable modem?  Last I checked, you couldn't connect a
> Coax to a WRT54G.  Other than that ... The coax comes into the house,
> connects to this comcast supplied router, which has a wifi antenna and some
> wired data ports...  Serves up 5 IP addresses.  It's got a public IP on the
> coax side, and that's it.
>
> Maybe you have to specify, "I want a dumb cable modem so I can run my own
> router" so they don't give you a crippled router cable modem?

I believe you ARE permitted to provide your own DOCSIS modem, and there
are several off-the-shelf models that combine the router and modem that
can do more than the Comcast-provided one does.

What are the TOS for the residential service? Do they only support a max
of 5 devices? That might be why they've lobotomized their modem/gateway
units.

-Brian