[BBLISA] comcast ... again

Daniel Hagerty hag at linnaean.org
Wed Oct 20 12:27:48 EDT 2010

Brian O'Neill <oneill at oinc.net> writes:

> I believe you ARE permitted to provide your own DOCSIS modem, and there
> are several off-the-shelf models that combine the router and modem that
> can do more than the Comcast-provided one does.

    Uh, yeah.  Unless what comcast does has changed drastically, run,
do not walk to your nearest big box electronics store and buy your own
cable modem.

    Renting your cable modem from comcast has similar economics to
renting your phone from AT&T, back when you could do that.  It's a
very high margin service.