[BBLISA] comcast ... again

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Wed Oct 20 07:41:10 EDT 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> From: Carl Alexander [mailto:xela at MIT.EDU]
>>
>> Um.  I can only assume from this that your friend is renting his
>> router from Comcast, rather than using one of his own?  Because
>> the normal thing for computer-proficient people to do is to
>> buy a WRT54GL and run their NAT off that.  Which will happily
>
> So, you buy your own cable modem?  Last I checked, you couldn't connect a
> Coax to a WRT54G.  Other than that ... The coax comes into the house,
> connects to this comcast supplied router, which has a wifi antenna and some
> wired data ports...  Serves up 5 IP addresses.  It's got a public IP on the
> coax side, and that's it.
>
> Maybe you have to specify, "I want a dumb cable modem so I can run my own
> router" so they don't give you a crippled router cable modem?

Talking to comcast is painful.

Buy any home router, connect WAN port to comcast supplied router LAN
port. Then connect home computers to home router LAN ports. No
configuration is required on either router. The packets will be double
natted, but this won't cause any problem for clients on the home network.

For extra credit, attach access point to comcast router, now you have a
community wireless which is OUTSIDE your home firewall.

Daniel Feenberg