[BBLISA] Verizon: No p2p blocking

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Fri Jun 18 09:10:49 EDT 2010

> From: Robert Keyes [mailto:bob at sinister.com]
>
> > I ran an ssh and http server at home.  One day it stopped working.
> They
> > suddenly started filtering inbound standard ports ...  So I moved to
> high
> > numbered ports ... And some months later, for the heck of it, I put
> it back.
> > Why the temporary change?  I don't know.
>
> Can you be more specific? If they only blocked http ports, that might
> have
> been an attempt to stop a worm from propagating.

Not much more to be specific about ... I had things hosted on port 22 and
80, then suddenly they started filtering those ports, so I moved to 2222 and
8080...  Some months later I rebuilt my laptop (or at least upgraded or
reinstalled the services; I forget now) so I tried 22 and 80 again for the
heck of it, and it worked again.

> I haven't heard about
> ssh
> port filtering.

Now you have.  ;-)

> Personally, I have been able to find really good server rental service
> for
> $25, with unlimited bandwidth and really good uptime. There's just not
> lot of disk space (only 160GB). I find this keeps me from worrying
> about
> filtering, crappy service, and power outages. Check
> http://www.serveraday.com for their occasional deals. I have other
> places
> offering similar service, such as http://www.wholesaleinternet.com, but
> I've been grandfathered in to lower cost tiers on older hardware. They
> may
> eventually come up with some cheap plans, again, too.

Thanks for the suggestion - I will consider these things, when and if I
decide to release some open source project which isn't compatible with a
license that google code endorses.  ;-)

Even though I'd probably be fine hosting it at home, I hate to host
something that affects people other than myself using my home network.

One problem with the subscription hosting though:  It doesn't allow me to
VPN in to my home and remote control my laptop etc.  ;-)