[BBLISA] Verizon: No p2p blocking

bblisa at rootme.org bblisa at rootme.org
Fri Jun 18 08:05:13 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:04:52AM -0400, blu at nedharvey.com wrote 3.2K bytes in 117 lines about:
: I've said before that I really like FiOS, partially because they don't do
: any shenanigans with my traffic, the way RCN or Comcast did when I used
: them.  And here's an article supporting that claim.  ;-)

You just haven't been hit with their new fios port filtering yet (link
#1).  Verizon fios was great for the first few years.  Now they seem to filter
certain ports "for my protection, sir."  And, if I want to opt out of
the filtering, I have to pay for a static IP address.  And even with a
static IP, inbound ports are filtered and outbound traffic is still
shoved through their transparent proxy server.   So, I have to pay more
for what I used to get as part of standard service?  How about you
discount standard service since now you're offering me less
functionality?  Now I just use a combination of ssh tunnels and tor to
bypass all the outbound port filtering.

Verizon knows exactly which customers are using lots of bandwidth and
on which ports.  If someone is infected with a virus/bot and sending
out spam, block those people.  Don't punish the many for the few.  They
have the intelligent network management tools, use them.

I also have comcast business (50/10) at the office which is entirely
unfiltered.  I can send/receive email, host websites, and do whatever
I want all day long.  This is what I want in an ISP.  I will pay well
for the raw, open, uncomplicated bandwidth.  I don't want filtering of
any kind for any reason.

And none of this port filtering or NATting customers will work anyway.
Malware and botnets are fully capable of circumventing such trivial
roadblocks.  I've watched malware probe and find a way around heavily deep
packet inspected networks by faking other transports sufficiently to get
the payload out.  In the arms race, malware authors are winning hands
down.

Links:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/highspeed/general+support/top+questions/questionsone/124274.htm

--