[BBLISA] Fwd: Moving 100 GB and 1.3 million files

Ian Stokes-Rees ijstokes at crystal.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 22 15:28:08 EDT 2010

 On 7/22/10 3:16 PM, Ian Stokes-Rees wrote:
> On 7/22/10 3:00 PM, Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
>> Try to isolate parts of the problem:
> <snip/>
>
> All great suggestions.

As a brief aside: Many years ago I hired someone to work as a general
tool smith and software development support person.  They came with
"Perl" on the label, and were subsequently given various small scripting
tasks to complete.  It was humorous, then, to find this person posting
to the local Perl users group (of which I was a regular contributor)
with questions about how to complete the tasks she had been given.  In
fact, it taught me how important it is to have an open environment for
people to share their problems and hurdles, and how I needed to
establish a better working relationship with the person so as to
discover they were struggling and to offer help, or to pair her with
someone else.

What's the connection? Ben (and I hope he doesn't mind me blowing his
cover), who made the suggestions above and (sort of between the lines)
suggested "get a professional sys admin to help" works about 50' down
the hall from me.

Ian