[BBLISA] Fwd: Moving 100 GB and 1.3 million files

Ian Stokes-Rees ijstokes at crystal.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 22 15:16:24 EDT 2010

On 7/22/10 3:00 PM, Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
> Try to isolate parts of the problem:

<snip/>

All great suggestions.

> That's where I would start.  You can't solve problems like this without
> putting in the time; there's no web page with a howto on solving this
> problem.  It's why people hire UNIX sysadmins.

Fortunately, I happen to work in a group with several very competent sys
admins.  Unfortunately, this has been an ongoing problem I have had for
2 years and now (and I haven't kept it a secret), but I haven't been
given an explanation or alternative to understand/avoid/overcome the
problem.

As I have a little bit of free time, and a need to organize masses of
data accumulated in various locations over the past 6+ months, I am
forced to try and address it myself.

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Ian