[BBLISA] Fwd: Moving 100 GB and 1.3 million files

Robert Keyes bob at sinister.com
Thu Jul 22 15:40:19 EDT 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Ian Stokes-Rees wrote:

> On 7/22/10 3:16 PM, Ian Stokes-Rees wrote:
>> On 7/22/10 3:00 PM, Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
>>> Try to isolate parts of the problem:
>> <snip/>
>>
>> All great suggestions.
>
> As a brief aside: Many years ago I hired someone to work as a general
> tool smith and software development support person.  They came with
> "Perl" on the label, and were subsequently given various small scripting
> tasks to complete.  It was humorous, then, to find this person posting
> to the local Perl users group (of which I was a regular contributor)
> with questions about how to complete the tasks she had been given.  In
> fact, it taught me how important it is to have an open environment for
> people to share their problems and hurdles, and how I needed to
> establish a better working relationship with the person so as to
> discover they were struggling and to offer help, or to pair her with
> someone else.
>
> What's the connection? Ben (and I hope he doesn't mind me blowing his
> cover), who made the suggestions above and (sort of between the lines)
> suggested "get a professional sys admin to help" works about 50' down
> the hall from me.

I think that its more important for someone to have a base knowledge of
systems and languages and the ability to adapt, make do, and get help than
it is to try to find someone who is a wizard at a particular task but not
flexible. The ability to get help on forums is important. Also, there's a
give-take. So, if you see an employee 'wasting company time' on a
newsgroup answering questions, it's not a waste as the person can then
have good 'karma' so others will answer their questions when the time
comes.