[BBLISA] Telecommunications Recommendations...

David Miller david3d at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 14:03:10 EDT 2010

Doc,
  Also to touch on the multi-wan portion of your setup as what you're doing
is identical to our setup here.
  We have a dual wan capable gateway/router/firewall/UTM device.  The T1 is
used for all incoming traffic going to our DMZ subnet using proxy arp.  So
it handles all mission critical services such as email, website, and VPN
tunnels.  Our DNS is handled outside by a vendor that keeps their record
TTLs set to 10 minutes.  So if the T1 were to go down for an extended period
of time I can update our DNS records and reconfigure the gateway to move
those services over to the Comcast connection.  I have a configuration
script prepared that would make the appropriate changes to the gateway for
me should the need arise.  Thankfully that need has never arrived, *knock on
wood*.
  All outbound traffic from our internal networks goes out the faster
Comcast connection.  But it's set up to fail this over to the T1 if the
Comcast connection goes down.  In general this allows all the employees to
surf the web and such without bogging down the T1 which is primarily for
more important functions.
  In all it's not as sexy or fancy as what a big company can do with BGP but
its all we need as a small business.
--
David