[BBLISA] Telecommunications Recommendations...

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Jul 19 21:57:44 EDT 2010

Hmm. Should be reading BBLisa more often...

Its possible to glue multiple T1's together for higher bandwidth, using
either inverse multiplers, PPP bundling, or per-packet load balancing.
AV8 and some other providers do this. What I do, that most others don't,
is put in a DSL line as a backup in case something fails. Send me a VZ
phone number in your building and I can send you some pricing.

But comcast is indeed hard to beat for 'cheap', at least right now.
But what makes me happy is the reports that comcast is going to moving
to a model where they charge for b/w use and throttle high users.
(Basically, just like ISPs charge in Europe--no fixed price services.)
So, it won't be so cheap in the end, after all. ;-)

And to add to what others sort of pointed out about reliability, keep in
mind that Comcast is a entertainment service.  When the weather knocks
out cable TV, they wait for the roads to clear and the ice to thaw
before making repairs. VZ is out there right away working on
life-critical service repairs.  For example, immediately after 911, VZ
was out in force, Comcast was nowhere to be seen. As the residents were
also banned from the area for the first few weeks, this wasn't a problem
for Comcast.  And there are more technical ways that entertainment
systems are designed differently than high availabililty critical
service system.

		--Dean