[BBLISA] Desktop policies and UNIX-ish operating systems

Patrick Cable pc at pcable.net
Fri Jan 29 07:27:29 EST 2010

> I'd like to reiterate this question, because I don't think you answered the
> heart of the question - for curiosity - I am curious what policies are being
> created, that need to distinguish between windows and non-windows?  For
> example, the no porn policy surely applies to both.  The ethics and data
> privacy policy applies to both.

They do. These are covered elsewhere.

> So what policies are there, that only apply to windows or non-windows?

Windows: Install $management_agent. Thanks!
Mac: Install $management_agent. Thanks!
UNIX/UNIX-Like: Well, $management_agent doesn't exist the same way it
does for windows/mac. And even if it did, forced patching by some
external entity that has no idea how the end-user operates would be an
awful idea in this environment. Let's just publish "best practices" as
policy.

"Best Practices" actually correlates to another document that defines
general standards for information systems and $WORK defines how to
implement them. I'm not going to get into that though because it'd be
too specific.