[BBLISA] whole disk encryption

Dewey Sasser dewey at sasser.com
Sat Aug 21 13:15:36 EDT 2010

 On 8/21/2010 1:08 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> Presently, I have Mac and Windows laptop users.  The mac users use
> encrypted sparsebundles, and the windows users use TrueCrypt for
> encryption.  There are a lot of reasons whole disk encryption would be
> desirable - mostly in terms of backups.
>

> There are a lot of whole disk encryption solutions out there.  I can
> simply stab into the dark and start trying them ... But I thought
> perhaps I could benefit from experiences that have been had already...
>

> Anybody care to offer their experiences?

I've been using Truecrypt on Windows for whole disk encryption for
several years on a few different (personal) laptops.  I have never
deployed it in an enterprise environment, but I've had no difficulty
with it in my use.  In fact, since I usually sleep rather than suspend
my laptop (yes, I do know the security trade offs), I can entirely
forget it's encrypted until Patch Tuesday when MS reboots the machine
for me.

I did some informal benchmarking shortly after installation and while I
believe boot took a few seconds longer and of course waits for me to
type in a pass phrase, run time has not suffered at all.

I'm not a Mac guy, so I can't help there.

--
Dewey