[BBLISA] MTA

Michael Sprague mfs at komerex.com
Wed May 27 22:23:49 EDT 2009

Rudie, Tony wrote:
> I have to replace the mail transfer agent for my Unix/Linux
> population.  It doesn't have to do anything fancy, because the hard
> stuff, like virus scanning and spam filtering, is taken care of by
> the corporate infrastructure.  All I need is something that can obey
> a big sendmail-style aliases file, a small mailertable, a small
> domains file, and a smarthost directive. The processing volume is
> substantial, but not unheard-of:  about 100,000 messages a day.  And
> this is just for the hub.  All the unix/linux servers in the place
> run native sendmail and forward everything to the hub.
>
> I'm using sendmail switch from sendmail.com, but they're
> discontinuing support.  I think this is something that can be whipped
> into shape on one of the freely available packages, but which is
> easiest to work with?  Something that was part of the RedHat
> distribution would be a plus.
>
> Probably best to reply to me only, and let me summarize.

Hi Tony,

Personally, I'm not a huge sendmail fan, but I think what you want is
pretty straightforward and since you already have sendmail-like support
files, you might as well stick with sendmail.  I believe sendmail is
still the default for Redhat.  Exim and postfix are available as
packages from several sources IIRC, but sendmail will probably treat you
fine.

My $0.02

Thanks,
mikeS