[BBLISA] MTA

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Wed May 27 22:01:01 EDT 2009

Hi Tony,

Why not stick with sendmail?  I did some performance tests on sendmail
for Nokia a few years ago (they wanted to stick with stock solaris
sendmail--wanted its performance be improved). I found that queue-only
mode with a separate qrunner works best. The downside is that messages
that aren't sent immediately get retried every n minutes by the qrunner.

I'm looking into qmail, which also uses the 'queue first, then send'
technique, and apparently is able to keep track of what hosts are down,
and backs off on retries.  This can be done with sendmail, too (multiple
outbound queues), but requires more work.  I'm planning to launch a
qmail, djbdns, daemontools software distribution (for reasons I'll
describe later).

You can also try postfix.

I have a customer that uses perl, but I'm not sure its really a
'package', but just something he wrote for his purposes.

		--Dean