[BBLISA] Odd Rsync Behavior...

Tom Metro tmetro+bblisa at vl.com
Fri Jan 9 17:24:29 EST 2009

Richard 'Doc' Kinne wrote:
> The partition I am trying to back up is coming from an NFS mounted
> volume and going to an attached external Firewire drive.

If at all possible, you want to have an rsync server (or rsh invoked
rsync) on the NFS server directly. Otherwise you miss out on one of the
big benefits of rsync, which is reduced network traffic. You're
essentially asking rsync to copy everything from your NFS mounted path
across the network so it can calculate checksums on the data to see if
changes have occurred. (Technically, it isn't quite that bad, given some
of the switches you are using, which should skip checksum calculation if
the timestamp hasn't changed.)

> ...I started getting lines like:
>
> file has vanished: "/Volumes/mira/scsi/web/vsx/submit/qry_getRemarks.php"

I gather that means rsync saw the file when it scanned the directory and
cached that info in memory, but then couldn't see the file when it
actually went to transfer the data.

> I went to /Volumes/mira/scsi/web/* and I was able to determine that
> these files were indeed there!

Might your NFS drive have gone away momentarily?

Using the rsync protocol over the network instead of NFS should also
avoid this.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro