[BBLISA] So what do you consider an interesting topic for a monthly talk?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Feb 9 17:32:40 EST 2009

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009, John P. Rouillard wrote:

> I received only 5 positive responses to a talk on Configuration
> Mangement Systems in general and DACS in particular, so obviously
> there is no sense in presenting a talk on that.

This is a pretty significant response for a small group like BBlisa.

Remember, a lot of people will come to whatever or won't.  Some will be
interested in the topic specifically, or just interested in anything
admin-related. Some just want to hear a talk and get some beers ;-)
Don't over think this ;-)

> So what talks do interest the BBLISA members?
>
>   Designing a good resume to land a job?

Nah.

>   Performance improvement with ITIL, Six Sigma and LEAN?

Yeah.

>   Trouble ticketing systems?

Why not.

>   Use of wiki's in IT?

Why not.

> What topics other than those above do you want?

These are good. Reference I've heard John speak before, and just about
anything he gives a talk on will be a good subject.

I'd like to hear of someone doing nagios-style status reports in
second-life. I've been thinking about doing that, either in SL or using
our own OpenSimulator server.  So instead of a nagios web-menu
navigation system, one just walks around an views pictures on a wall.
Like a virtual NOC with all kinds of monitors. Or maybe one walks around
a SL representation of the network, and looks at the virtual routers,
switches, and machines, which display differently when things are wrong,
show throughput on dials, emit virtual steam when overloaded, etc. If
anyone is interested in working on this, let me know...

> Also is MIT not a good place to hold meetings? Should venuses in other
> areas, metro-west (waltham/arlington/lexington), south, north be
> considered to get more people to attend?

I like MIT. Its convenient to parking and the T, and gives me a reason
to get to Kendall and visit the coop and mit press bookstores.  And its
close to a favorite watering hole.

		--Dean

617 344 9000