[BBLISA] UPS suggestion

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Mon Feb 2 09:19:18 EST 2009

> Well, I wouldn't put my monitor on a UPS, but I'm not asking for me.
> But if he has to work, and the UPS is more than for just smoothing
> power or keeping his RAID battery backup happy... then ya, he's gotta
> have the monitor to keep working.
> This is, BTW, not his "server", it's his desktop.

If the power goes out - I don't really care what the manufacturer says - you've only got a few minutes of runtime.  You're best to wait 5 minutes and then do a graceful shutdown.  If your intent is to keep operating, you better get a generator.

BTW, Even if there is no device plugged into the UPS, the internal leakage of the UPS will drain it in something like 30 minutes.