[BBLISA] UPS suggestion

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Mon Feb 2 09:50:12 EST 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> I worked for an ISP for a while, and we had a ton of deployed APCs
>> (100+),
>> and they were solid.  We had a handful of Belkins (<10) in sevice, and
>> two
>> of the handful caught fire.
>>
>> I buy APCs.  :-)
>
> I don't have the same experience with belkin, but -
>
> When you buy APC, buy SmartUPS.   Not BackUPS.   And not SmartUPS SC.

What is the specific problem with SmartUPS SC? We have both SC and
regular, and apart from fewer LEDs on the cheaper device, we are not sure
what the difference might be. >

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is what the UPS does when the power
is restored. Some keep the power to the protected devices off (Belkin) and
some can restore power, if set to do so (APC).

Daniel Feenberg