[BBLISA] UPS suggestion

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Mon Feb 2 09:22:28 EST 2009

> If the power goes out - I don't really care what the manufacturer says
> - you've only got a few minutes of runtime.  You're best to wait 5
> minutes and then do a graceful shutdown.  If your intent is to keep
> operating, you better get a generator.
>
> BTW, Even if there is no device plugged into the UPS, the internal
> leakage of the UPS will drain it in something like 30 minutes.

(Sorry, I should have read and thought all the way before I finally hit send)

I gave a 450VA ups to my Dad, to keep his Vonage adapter and Cable modem running.  I didn't measure them, but their transformers are rated for 7W and 15W, so combined they can draw a maximum of 22W.  Probably draw even less if I measure them.

His phone only works for about 20 minutes in a power outage.