[BBLISA] UPS suggestion

Eric Smith esmithphoto at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 15:13:39 EST 2009

A friend is looking to get a UPS for his home business system and I
thought you all might have some suggestions (you'll certainly have
more experience!)

I asked him for ideas what the system draws for power and got this email:
--------------------------
Fair question but a bit hard to answer.  I did some google searches
and found entries in the 500w range that actually seemed low.

I also saw a notation that with the RAID hardware card that I have,
the system does not meet energy star ratings, not a surprise.

Below is a url to an apple site that for a 2.8 GHz suggests 250 W that
seems way low.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2836

I have 2 quad core 3.2 Ghz Processors,
8GB memory,
Standard graphics
4 15,000 SAS drives
Hardware RAID card

My 30" Cinema display shows up as 150W just by itself.

I think when you add in the cinema display we have to be pushing 750.
Now, that estimate has gotta be the theoretical peak demand (if even
that) but I thought this was the type of info that you'd be needing to
me a good suggestion.

Any tip would be a great help - if you have any more questions I can
easily find the answers....

Eric