[BBLISA] Something like getdropbox?

K. M. Peterson KMP at KMPeterson.COM
Sun Feb 1 12:49:01 EST 2009

I'd love to get an answer to this, too.

There seems to be a class of applications of this type that would seem
to be fairly small programming projects too large to take on myself,
and yet not large enough to have attracted interest in making a
project somewhere on Source Forge.

The mega-expansion of a thing like this is Oracle Collaboration Suite,
which has all sorts of Neat Things in addition, but has significant
costs for acquisition and maintenance.  That's not a serious
suggestion, but it's a highlight of the fact that this seems like a
simple app that "someone should have thought up" as a FOSS project.

You can, to some extent, use DAV and Subversion to do this, but I
suspect that's not really a good fit either.  I've been looking
myself, and  just haven't seen anything that just does this limited
task.  I agree that using getdropbox is an issue because I don't want
to trust anyone outside my control - but it'd sure be nice if the code
was there to use...

_KMP

On 28 Jan 2009, at 2253 , Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I recently tried out getdropbox, and I really like it – for syncing
> files across different computers, and for generating http:// links I
> can use to share my files with others.
>
> I feel restricted due to limited disk space, and privacy concerns.
> When I can, I like to control my own data.  I trust myself more than
> I trust unknown people.
>
> Does anybody know of anything like getdropbox, which you can install
> on your own server and maintain yourself?

K. M. Peterson                                 voice:  +1 617 731 6177
Boston, Massachusetts, USA                       fax:  +1 413 638 6486
Email: <mailto:KMP at KMPeterson.COM>    Web: <http://www.KMPeterson.COM>