[BBLISA] Linux for my 1 year old: skip the login screen?

Alex alex at basespace.net
Sun Mar 30 10:49:42 EDT 2008

Hi folks. So I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. The older one won a computer as a prize for potty training. I am disappointed in what is out there as an interface for kids - things like

http://www.linux.com/feature/27651

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-jr/

So I will try to set something up myself. What I want is a screen with absolutely nothing on it except some icons that will launch either software or a browser to a web site (eg starfall.com, pbskids.org,...). twm maybe? I shall have to bruch off my X expertise. Any suggestions for how to do this easily?

It should also boot directly to that screen, bypassing the xdm login. Is there a simple way to automatically log in a specified user?

It would be good if firefox (or some other browser) could easily be configured with a whitelist of domains allowed to browse to; clicking on a link to go elsewhere would just not work. I have looked at a few parental control systems. Glubble (a firefox plugin) you had to log in to, which is a non-starter for this purpose. Also, I would prefer a web browser that hides the top bar and the menus and so forth - so you can do nothing but use the web page.

Conceptually, I suppose one could take a standard GNOME or KDE setup and remove functionality until you get what you want, but it seems simpler to start from nothing and build up instead. I'm just surprised that no one has done this already.