[BBLISA] Linux for my 1 year old: skip the login screen?

David Allan dave at dpallan.com
Mon Mar 31 12:08:27 EDT 2008

This is a problem that I'm going to face shortly, so I'm responding even
though I don't have a very concrete idea of what wil work.  I'd be
interested in hearing what people think of the following ideas.

IIRC, gdm can be configured to autologin a particular user, although I
haven't tried it.

Re: whitelisting, since I assume you don't have to worry [yet] about
active attacks against the whitelisting mechanism, I would just use
iptables on the box itself.  Obviously, specifying hostnames resolved by
DNS is a bad idea where security is needed, but should work ok for what
you want.  I'm just not sure what will happen if there are multiple
addresses for a particular name.

At least in Gnome, turning off the menubars and icons on the desktop
shouldn't be that much work.  I'm not a fan of too much junk on my
desktop, so I often turn off a bunch of the menubars.  Right clicking on
them should give you an option 'Delete this panel'

Dave