[BBLISA] Error reading block x (Attempt to read block...)

Daniel Hagerty hag at linnaean.org
Wed Mar 5 19:58:10 EST 2008

Dean Anderson <dean at av8.com> writes:

> I'd suggest using dump, as dump won't quit on errors. [well, unix dump
> won't. Can't say for sure about linux dump]

    Don't do this.  Or at least don't do this without taking a
bit-for-bit copy with dd first.

    Dump interprets the bits it reads.  If the filesystem's metadata
isn't readable, dump won't produce anything resembling a backup.

    If your OS's dd does not support conv=noerror (keep going on read
errors), get a dd that does.  The dd in GNU coreutils has noerror.
You'll probably also need conv=sync so that any short read blocks get
padded out to how big they *should* have been (it's been awhile, so
doublecheck that one, point being that sizeof(in) must equal
sizeof(out) regardless of any errors).