[BBLISA] Error reading block x (Attempt to read block...)

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Thu Mar 6 16:20:00 EST 2008

If the metadata isn't readable to dump, it won't be readable to dd
either.  There is little point in trying to get the block data to files
without metadata. Tho dd will get that, making sense of it is just about
impossible.  dump will get everything that can be reasonably gotten.

dump will do everything that dd does with sync and noerror; dd will also
take up more space (exactly the size of the failed disk), since it will
copy out blocks that are aren't used by the filesystem. Making sense of
your datablocks for those files without metadata is a true exercise. It
could be worth it in an extreme high value case, but in those high value
cases one would expect that you have prior backups, anyway. Last, if the
new disk isn't the same size as the old disk, your dd will need to be
converted anyway.

Its obviously a preference and I'm surprised how many people advocate
dd.  I concede there may be some data blocks recoverable through dd,
that wouldn't be gotten by dump, but I don't think I'd bother with dd on
a failing disk.  Get what you can; Thats all there is. Go from there.

		--Dean

617 344 9000