[BBLISA] Re: Opinions on Verizon Wireless EVDO cards?

seph seph at directionless.org
Mon Jan 28 22:56:24 EST 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Adam Moskowitz wrote:

> Another option would be a USB dongle. My choice there is Kyocera UM150.
> Is there a reason *OTHER THAN USB v. PCI* to prefer this unit over

When I was paying attention a couple years ago (novatel v620 cards),
the pcmcia cards were implemented as pcmcia-usb bridge, with a usb
chip. This made the drivers kinda grotty, and not-windows support was
lacking. The usb dongles seem more straightforward. This may or may
not be an issue for you.

Rob Cambra <robc at solarflares.net> writes:

> Note:  The Vz software also want's to install some image
> rendering/proxying tool that reduces the "size" of an image
> transmitted (on a web page) to improve perceived performance.  I
> haven't really looked at it myself, but I know it exists, so be careful
> when installing on Windows.

The VZW software used to install "Venturi Client". A nasty bit of
software that was supposed to do this, but instead just interfered
with a lot of tcp communication. It stopped showing up with a more
recent software version, so I assume it's been dropped.

seph