[BBLISA] Opinions on Verizon Wireless EVDO cards?

Rob Cambra robc at solarflares.net
Mon Jan 28 13:49:00 EST 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Adam Moskowitz wrote:

> Another option would be a USB dongle. My choice there is Kyocera UM150.
> Is there a reason *OTHER THAN USB v. PCI* to prefer this unit over
> either of the others?

The USB model works on Mac as well as PC (due to lack of full size PC Card
slot).

I also think it's nice to be able to put an RF transmitter which may be in
operation for extended periods of time further away than immediately next
to your hands.

Having said that, we generally see much higher speeds on the PC Card
models on our Windows laptops than the USB version on our Macs.

Note:  The Vz software also want's to install some image
rendering/proxying tool that reduces the "size" of an image
transmitted (on a web page) to improve perceived performance.  I
haven't really looked at it myself, but I know it exists, so be careful
when installing on Windows.

-rob