[BBLISA] Re: Opinions on Verizon Wireless EVDO cards?

Jon Young jon at drboom.com
Tue Jan 29 08:22:03 EST 2008

An alternate suggestion I've been using for the past couple of years is to
use my phone as a modem when I need laptop internet remotely.  The biggest
advantage to this has been the need not to carry a card and the reduction in
price (nothing extra).  I'm not sure about verizon, but for sprint, the
blackberry plan includes phone as modem support for no extra charge.  My
phone is old enough that it does not support bluetooth tethering for PAM so
I keep a retractable USB cable on my laptop and use it to dialup when
necessary.  On sprint, I consistently get better than 1Mb... a bit slower
when I use some funky software to make PAM work on linux (XmBlackberry since
RIM doesn't support linux).  One of my former staff members did the same on
verizon with his treo for a while.  Not suitable to replace a card when you
also need to be on the phone at the same time of course.

Jon