[BBLISA] storevault / netapp

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Tue Feb 26 11:16:36 EST 2008

> Wow, if you think the regular netapp support is good and you see
> problems
> with StoreVault...
>
> I have actually had to "outsource" NetApp support contact back to my
> NetApp reseller.  What I mean is that my guys were getting nothing done
> for weeks at a time due to the hugely time consuming process of working
> with NetApp support -- simple questions take 3 tiers of support and 3-5
> business days.  Hardware replacements are frequently on time (we have
> 24/7
> premium or some such with on-site), but often arrive with the caveat
> that
> "a tech is only available in x days" where x is frequently greater than
> 3,
> even though we have 24/7 on-site, causing us to risk the colo staff in
> our
> various data centers to swap disks and such.  Hard questions, as in,
> "why
> did traffic from one lev-II vif suddenly start using the other 4
> interfaces in the group exclusively in one direction and the first 4 in
> the other direction?" take weeks to months.  So I now pay my reselller
> an
> hourly rate to babysit netapp support calls -- my guys call them, they
> (the reseller) sit on the phone, call them back, provide information
> about our hardware 15 times to the 3 different techs for each ticket,
> etc., ring us up when there is real progress made.
>
> I can not even begin to imagine how much worse the StoreVault support
> is.

Dang, that's tough.

Admittedly my former experience with netapp support being good was about 5
years ago.  Maybe they've gone downhill since that time.  And the device I
had was generally well behaved, in a smaller environment.  Your environment
is much larger than what I ever had a netapp for.

Thanks for your input...