[BBLISA] Recommendations for/against paging services?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Thu May 10 16:26:14 EDT 2007

I like my own services. ;-)

I presume you want a separate device so that you can 'throw the on-call
potato'.  I assume it isn't because SMS is expensive, though possibly
that is your reason.  I'll address only the potato issue.

Clever forwarding/response systems can make your cellphone work as a
potato, too. You can have your phone texted and/or called, (can also do
1.5-way acks). There are some advantages to this. By having the system
1.5 way ack the passing of the potato on the correct phone, you know
that the on-call person actually acknowledged getting the potato.  This
positive feedback on transfer of responsibility also avoids the problem
of the person who physically loses the pager, damages the pager, or
doesn't return it after quitting/being fired).

My system also works well when you need to unfortunately ruin someone's
weekend by putting them on-call unexpectedly.

		--Dean