[BBLISA] using dump?

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 18 13:36:25 EST 2007

I finally got a tape drive installed on a RHEL5 server, and want to dump
multiple local filesystems (and eventually NFS-mounted ones) to tape.

What is the most recommended dump command line option setup to use?

I've tried, for example,

dump -0u -z2 -f /dev/st0 / /home but that failed

dump -0u -z2 -f /dev/st0/home.dump / /home but that failed

dump -0u -z2 -f /dev/st0 /home does work (one filesystem).

Can I safely have multiple dump statements to reflect each filesystem to dump?

I want to dump /var and /home anyway, and ideally the whole filesystem.

Once I get an NFS system mounted, any changes to how I would dump it, or simply
use its local mount point?

Thanks.

Scott