[BBLISA] using dump?

Brian O'Neill oneill at oinc.net
Tue Dec 18 13:48:41 EST 2007

You cannot specify more than one filesystem on the command line. I
believe that version of dump supports specifying more than one directory
or file, but they must all live on the same filesystem.

To dump more than one filesystem on a single tape, you need to run
successive dump commands and use the "no-rewind" device name for the
tape drive - i.e. /dev/nst0 instead of /dev/st0. When you need to
restore a particular filesystem, you need to use "mt" to skip forward to
the appropriate "file" (each dump is a single file on the tape) and then
issue the restore command.

As for NFS, I've never tried to use dump with an NFS mounted filesystem
in recent history. In the "old days", you couldn't - dump only worked on
a local UFS/FFS filesystem. Since the NFS servers were themselves UNIX
servers, we always backed them up locally anyways.

It _might_ work for NFS with the directories-or-files mode instead of
filesystem mode, but from reading the man page there are restrictions -
specifically no incremental dumps.