[BBLISA] Help with nis-to-LDAP

Sean OMeara someara at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 18:13:36 EDT 2007

"Ldap for rocket scientists" is a great read for understanding "how it
actually works" http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/

openldap is the defacto ldap server in linuxland, and you'll quickly
find its documentation to be absolutely horrible. That said, you'll
probably end up using if for your crash and burn lab because most
tutorials and such reference it

I use it to store account information for around 300 machines no problem.

I hear very nice things about Fedora DS, which is the Ldap Server
Formerly Known as Netscape DS". (though I havent actually had a chance
to try it out yet)

I'd bet a dollar you could get an ldap server up and running pretty
damn quickly on a fresh rhel or centos5 install and it would have a
nice web based gui for doing "stuff"

To answer your actual questions, "no, your tree structure does NOT
have to match your DNS configuration but its very helpful."

-s