[BBLISA] Help with nis-to-LDAP

Mark Manley mwmanley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:18:07 EDT 2007

I don't think it *has* to.  It can be "dc=happy, dc=gumdrops" for all the
system cares.  I think some of that naming is legacy from DAP systems like
X.500, where the concept of a more global tree was in place.  I think it's
helpful to have the DC names match DNS, especially if you're going to host
several instances for different groups, and it's best to have the first "dc"
name be something that you can live with.

You can always change it later, though it's a huge PITA to do so, especially
after it goes live.  Also, use the scripts at http://www.padl.com/tools.html,
which should get you most of the way of getting your data into LDIF for
import.

Good luck!