[BBLISA] References on the Microsoft World

K. M. Peterson KMP at KMPeterson.com
Thu Sep 21 09:47:45 EDT 2006

Hi all,

To those who have heard about my situation over the past year, I wanted
to let you all know that I'm once again gainfully employed.

I now find myself responsible for a fair amount of Microsoft technology,
in a place where it's come to have a fair impact.  I have several people
working for me, who are great junior to mid-level sys admins.  However,
they're good on the "how" and not the "why", and I'm having difficulties
learning about the underlying technology structure.

So I'm trying to figure out a strategy to get more up-to-speed on the
stuff that I need to know about.  I'm wondering whether people have
recommendations for books, and/or LISA-like training on topics like AD
and Exchange.  These seem to be the biggest issues that I have to deal
with now.

There seem to be a lot of books out oriented to those who either don't
have sysadmin experience, or those who are mainly studying for
certification (or both!).   I have the O'Reilly book on AD which is
pretty good, I wish there was something similar on AD.  Anyone have any
good ideas in this vein (or perhaps some other avenue)?

And, finally, I will admit  to this: we do have people here running
VMWare on Windows with Linux guests.   Given I work in a software
development environment, I see the advantages.  I'm not too sure about
doing it on a server, though, still ;-)

Thanks!  Respond to me if you wish, and I'll summarize.

_KMP

K. M. Peterson                                         Boston, Mass. USA
mailto:kmp at kmpeterson.com                         Phone: +1 617 731 6177
For complete contact information: http://www.kmpeterson.com/contact.html